Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Practical Gmail Tip For You: Stop the Annoying Noises


Before I finally decided to really explore the depths of Google's free email service, Gmail, I always had to face the distraction of a little beep playing every time someone sent me an instant message. Gradually, this became more and more irritating to the point where I would simply refuse to open Gmail.
I mean, no one wants to be suddenly jolted by a silence-breaking tone when they're doing something important such as completing a university thesis. Often, this little noise will even force me to totally lose my concentration and forget what I was thinking.
And it was a coincidence that I found the way to shut this thing off. Here's how to do it:
First, obviously open your browser and go to Gmail, which should take you to your inbox. Now, at the top left of the page, there is a link list of other Google Services but don't be tempted to click these. Instead, look to the right, where you'll find your email and links to Gmail settings, the older version, help pages as well as the sign out button. You should go to the "Settings", where in bold letters, the title, Settings, will be perceived. Below that are several tabs such as General, Accounts, Labels, Filters etc. But you don't need any of these for what you're trying to do; go to the "Chat" section. When here, scroll down and you will see a part entitled "Sounds" where there will be two options, "Sounds On" and "Sounds Off". Select "Sounds Off" and you won't have to listen to those truly agitating beeps, countless times every day.

Note: Naturally, the downside to this is that you won't be notified when someone begins to chat with you, which could mean you'll be ignoring quite a few people every day.

No comments: